Friday, September 9, 2011

Where is Home?

While I was in the states these last two weeks I found myself saying when I return “home” when I was referring to Iquitos, but then when I’m in Iquitos I always say “I can’t wait to go home.” So what or where is “Home”? We have all heard the saying “Home is where the Heart is”, but what if your heart is divided?

As Christians we know that no place here on earth is “home”, our home is where there is no more suffering, sadness, pain, or tears. Two weeks ago yesterday my Grandpa went home, he had been fighting for so long and the Father finally called him home. These last few months have been hard on the entire family, with lots of Doctor’s appointments, stays in the hospital and more surgeries. This last time when he was in the Hospital, my prayer changed; it was no longer “God strengthen him and heal him.” But “God, can you wait ___ days? I’d really like to see him one more time.”

I knew our time with Grandpa was coming to an end, but being a selfish human being I wanted just a little more time with him. I wanted to hear his laugh one more time, to feel a loving embrace, see his hard working hands and most of all to hear his voice. I guess Grandpa was just too tired.

I walked in the door of my house on Friday Aug 25th, 2011 and 3 of my Aunts were sitting in Mom’s shop getting their hair done. To feel their embrace, hear their laughs, and see their faces was like experiencing him. I’ve always known that I was blessed to be a part of such an incredible family, but these last two weeks have really opened my eyes to how blessed I truly am.
Although Grandpa will never meet my future husband, be at my wedding, or hold my newborn child, each family member that carries a part of him will bring his legacy to life as they participate in these life changing moments.

So “Home” for me is many places, it’s the house where I grew up, it’s in Iquitos, Peru where a group of strangers became a family, it’s walking in my church doors, it’s in a family members warm embrace and it’s in those peaceful, quiet moments when God reaches out and touches the heart of His child. Someday my Father will call me “HOME” and I won’t hesitate to go; I’ll be ready just like Grandpa was. Until that day I will continue to live out my faith, seek His will and build a legacy of my own to leave behind.

Loving Him, Britt

1 comment:

harthous said...

WOW!! Very well said!