Thursday, May 6, 2010

Devotions

From: ~Streams in the Deseret~ By: L.B. Cowman

“Dear friend, God may send you some valuable gifts wrapped in unattractive paper. But don’t worry about the wrappings, for you can be sure that inside He has hidden treasures of love, kindness, and wisdom. If we will simply take what He sends and trust Him for the blessing inside, we will learn the meaning of the secrets of His providence, even in times of darkness.

Remember, diamonds are found in the rough, and their true value cannot be seen.”

Although I don’t understand all that God is doing right now, I’m choosing DAILY to trust Him. It’s not easy or without its sacrifices, but I have hope that it will be worth it in the end. Little by little my heart is being healed.


Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 was Esther and I’s first day as missionaries. We were very blessed to already have some contacts in our location, so Tuesday morning we went to visit our first family. A grandmother and her three grandchildren, the mother died a few years ago and the father ran off. Jenny, the 15 year old granddaughter is 5months pregnant with her 20 year old boyfriend’s child. This is not uncommon here, by the time girls are 20 they have 2 or 3 kids.

Yesterday we had our first discipleship class with Jenny and through that lesson; Jenny made a decision to accept Christ into her heart. I know what you’re thinking, hmmm discipleship class first and then a decision, interesting. I thought the same thing. It’s no surprise that this was my devotional this morning.

From: ~Voices of the Faithful~ By: Beth Moore and Friends
New life?

“How, then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent?” Romans 10:14-15a (NIV)

After evangelism training in rural areas of Mozambique, we split into teams to share from home to home (or casa por casa here). I was on a team with an American volunteer and two Mozambican believers. We were in the middle of nowhere with 10 to 15 minutes of walking between houses.

At the last house, we were invited to sit with an elderly couple and some teenagers. I asked the old man if he had ever discovered new life. He said, “There is no such thing as new life. There is only suffering and pain.”

With his permission, I began to share about Jesus, an unfamiliar name to them. One of the teenagers, named Carlos, was especially attentive. I asked how he could have eternal life, and Carlos answered, “I’m not sure why, but I think it’s through this Jesus.” We continued talking about the gospel, and the couple and several teenagers wanted to give their lives to Christ.
After we prayed, Carlos looked at me and said, “I’ve had this thing in my heart for a long time. You told me today the answer I was looking for.”

That “thing in his heart” was the Holy Spirit seeking him. However, there was no way for Carlos to know what to do unless someone came and shared the truth with him.”
-Katie, Central, Eastern and Southern Africa

At first I was so against going “door to door”, I just felt so uncomfortable. But then the more we did it and I saw how hungry people were to hear about how they could have a different life, an eternal life, I realized if Esther and I aren’t going to do it, who will?

This devotional really helped me to see that better and gave me encouragement that the Holy Spirit is working. I have a very strong feeling that there are people in 9 de Octubre who have “this thing in their heats” and they are waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

With Love and blessings, Brittany

No comments: