Monday, November 30, 2009

Looking up to see those around us.


This is a story from my devotional book “Voices of the Faithful” with Beth Moore. I was so touched by this womans courage. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Looking up to see those around us
“Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look on the fields, that they are white for harvest.” John 4:35

Throughout the Gospels are accounts of Jesus weeping and being moved to compassion as He saw the multitudes. He also encouraged His disciples to lift up their eyes and see. I know why now.

It was a hot summer afternoon at a Mexico beach and we were celebrating the 10th birthday of one of our daughters. We had been missionaries for only six months when the unthinkable happened. My husband, oldest daughter, and two young summer missionaries were caught in a strong undertow and drowned.

As I knelt beside the bodies, my mind was filled with a thousand thoughts. How would I tell our families about this tragedy? What would become of our ministry in Mexico? How would I raise my other children without my husband? As my head was bowed, I was occupied with real concerns.

Then I lifted my eyes. Many people had gathered around us. I knew that my loss was great, but I knew that the loss of these around me was even greater. Mine was temporary; theirs was eternal.

I said, “This is my husband, daughter, and friends. They are now in the presences of their Lord and Savior. What if you were the ones of the sand? Do you know where your soul would be?”

In the town Playa Linda there was not a church, but there is now. It is filled with many who were on the beach that day. If we only take the time to lift up our eyes and see, the outcome of a trial could have miraculous results!
-Gloria, Middle America and the Caribbean

Father, Thank you for eternal life. Thank you for peace that you give in the midst of difficulties. May I never take my eyes off You. Help me to see the needs of the lost today. Amen.

How many times have you taken a walk and the whole time been looking down at your dirty old tennis shoes? And then all of the sudden you realize that you have been looking down and you raise your head to see the most beautiful sunset, or a pond covered with blooming lily pads. It’s like you were seeing the world around you and black and white and now you are seeing it in all its’ glorious color.

Let’s not miss out on the opportunity to help someone find eternal life. Or miss out of see this beautiful world our God created for us! Let’s look up and see that the harvest is white and ready!

Lifting my eyes up,
Brittany

No comments: